The Great Pyrenees Club of America welcomes you to our Health Website.
This site is designed to help bring current information to GPCA Members, owners of Great Pyrenees, and to those who wish to learn more about Great Pyrenees. There are many points within this site that will direct you or link you to other websites. On those sites you may find ads for products and services. Please be aware that a link to another site for information contained therein does not constitute an endorsement by GPCA of those products or services.
Our Special Gratitude to Our Donors
On behalf of the GPCA Health Committee we acknowledge our members and friends who have been so generous in their donations. We have dedicated a special section to express our gratitude in assisting us in maintaining the health of our beloved breed.
- August 2013 - WE NEED YOU! The GPCA Health Committee funds research every year for the sole purpose of improving the health of our breed. Help us know how to use the money wisely and fund research that will matter by sending in a health survey for your pyr. We hope to see surveys on any dog of any age with a health issue and all 2 yr olds and 8 yrs olds, healthy or ill. Knowing the preponderence of health or disease is critical to our work. Click here for your form . health survey
- June 2013 - Hot, humid temperatures and stress can bring on heat stroke!! Stress of any kind in high temperatures can put your dog at risk. Talk to your vet to learn the signs and symptoms as well as what you can do to help you pyr on your way to the vet. Heat stroke is a veterinary emergency!!
- May 2013 - Our new Champion of Health is GCh. Rivergroves Trump This! In addition to a commemorative medallion, $100 will be donated to canine health research in his name. Congratulations to Rivergroves Kennel for this acknowledgement of a very special Great Pyrenees.
- March 2013 - GPCA funded research? Are you aware of the research the GPCA funds through the collaboration of the Health Committee and the Canine Health Foundation? For more information choose the GPCA Grants on the menu bar.
- September 2012 - Do you know the signs when your pet has chronic pain? Check out the latest podcast at Genome Barks for important information on pain in the companion animal and safe and effective treatment info. Genome
The FDA has some useful information on purchasing your pet medicines online.
Don't forget to check the Genome Barks Podcasts for the latest news in canine health issues.
At your next vet visit ask about new canine flu vaccines. You and your pet both need a flu shot every year!
Up-to-date information on pet food recalls, new drugs approved for veterinary medicine or links to pet health research and other resources from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
Please check this important info on flea & tick control products from the EPA.