The Great Pyrenees Club of America welcomes you to our Health Website.
This site is designed to help bring current information to GPCA Members, owners of Great Pyrenees, and to those who wish to learn more about Great Pyrenees. There are many points within this site that will direct you or link you to other websites. On those sites you may find ads for products and services. Please be aware that a link to another site for information contained therein does not constitute an endorsement by GPCA of those products or services.
Our Special Gratitude to Our Donors
On behalf of the GPCA Health Committee we acknowledge our members and friends who have been so generous in their donations. We have dedicated a special section to express our gratitude in assisting us in maintaining the health of our beloved breed.
- November 2012 - Champion of Health! We are looking for our next Champion of Health representative. Do you know a dog that should be considered? for the application or more information choose GPCA Participation on the menu bar.
- September 2012 - Do you know the signs when your pet has chronic pain? Check out the latest podcast at Genome Barks for important information on pain in the companion animal and safe and effective treatment info. Genome
- August 2012 - GPCA funded research? Are you aware of the research the GPCA funds through the collaboration of the Health Committee and the Canine Health Foundation? For more information choose the GPCA Grants on the menu bar.
- July 2012 - Hot, humid temperatures and stress can bring on heat stroke!! Stress of any kind in high temperatures can put your dog at risk. Talk to your vet to learn the signs and symptoms as well as what you can do to help you pyr on your way to the vet. Heat stroke is a veterinary emergency!!
- Apr 29, 2012 - Congratulations to Ch. Valle d' Aspe Scandalous Affair, CD RAE CGC VE HOF !! Our newest Champion of Health, awarded at the 2012 GPCA Nationals. For more in this program choose GPCA Participation on our menu bar at left.
- Apr 3, 2012 - WOW ! and thanks everyone!! Our limited edition print-on-canvas offering of the original oil by Kim Salerno, The Legend of St. Roch, has sold out!
- Sept 23, 2011 – Osteosarcoma research for dogs shows benefit towards new treatments in both canines and children with this agressive disease. Check our Grants page for reports on a studies partially funded by the GPCA Health Committee.
- Jun 6, 2011 – Our new store items! Shop early and often. Each purchase of $25.00 earns you a raffle ticket for a beautifu original oil. See below!
- Apr 24, 2011 – A new report out from the Institute of Medicine on Lyme Disease and other Tick-borne zoonotic illnesses available online.
The FDA has some useful information on purchasing your pet medicines online.
Don't forget to check the Genome Barks Podcasts for the latest news in canine health issues.
At your next vet visit ask about new canine flu vaccines. You and your pet both need a flu shot every year!
Up-to-date information on pet food recalls, new drugs approved for veterinary medicine or links to pet health research and other resources from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
Please check this important info on flea & tick control products from the EPA.